Squat racks are needed for all gyms so you can properly do exercises like bench press or squats. Here we explain some basics of a Olympic power cage and hope to assist you in deciding on what may be best for you concerning your workouts.
Here is a general description of parts to a basic squat rack or cage that you should know when looking to purchase one.
Frame: Basic structure of the product, and you should look at the dimensions of the frame concerning its height especially when comparing it to where you would be using it in your home.
Safety Bar: Goes on the inside of a cage between the frame. This is what catches the bar if it is dropped.
J-hooks: These are the hooks that are used either on the inside or outside of the frame to rest the barbell on when you are not using it.
Spotters arm: This is the part of a rack that the weight is under when you step back if you are doing a squat on the outside of the cage.
Here are some positive and negative facts about this piece that anyone would probably look at when thinking of purchasing a squat rack.
Product: Fitness Reality Power Cage
- Has a 1,500 pound capacity for a bar to be dropped on, so it is suitable for anyone from a beginner to a competitive lifter
- Two safety bars are included
- Comes with a pull up bar which has a 600 pound limit, as well as a dip bar
- Includes a lat pulldown and cable attachments
- Bar placements are numbered making it easier to place safety bars in the correct position
- Due to the weight of this squat cage it does not have to be bolted down
- You can use either one or two inch plates on the lat pulldown
- The j hooks are coated, decreasing the chance of the bar being damaged
- The parts are arranged in order which makes assembly easy
- 7 foot bars must be used
- Total weight is 300 pounds but it does come in multiple boxes
- Assembly instructions may not be 100 % clear
- The size of the tubing is very unique so you will probably have trouble finding any replacement parts unless its through the manufacturer
- No storage bars are included and as mentioned, it may be challenging to find any additional parts, but you could always use a weight tree to store your weights
- No knee pads are included for use of the lat pulldown
Shipping is always important so make sure you use the highest quality of shipping to decrease the chances of anything being damaged upon arrival
Overall this squat cage is a great addition to anyone’s home gym since it has all the basic pieces of equipment you need like the lat pull-down and pull up bars.
If you are just starting your own personal gym and need some basic equipment to get things started, this squat cage gives you everything you need concerning exercises. It is also good for anyone from the beginner to the competitive lifter.