When looking into training with gymnastic rings, there are different questions you want to ask before deciding on what type to buy. Here we cover differences between using free weights and rings.
Training with gymnastic rings uses body weight for resistance. This will increase both your strength in full range of motion, and your level of static or isometric strength.
General benefits include:
- Increase in the level of strength
- Increase in size
- Work major muscle groups
- Train stabalizer muscles more than free weights
- Requires object to wrap around.
- Limited for lower body exercises
Some things to look at when considering purchasing rings include: the type of ring, straps, and the type of buckle used.
Types of rings
The type of ring used.
- Should depend on your goals and the finances available.
- For a starter or basic routine workouts, plastic is recommended.
- Wood is the best type for the price if you’re doing more of a gymnastic routine, or you know you will be using them more than your average person.
- Metal rings may be better for use by the more intermediate individual but is probably the least recommended
- Very Durable
- Ensures a good sturdy grip
- May need to be sanded down initially if rough
- More expensive
- Cant withstand outdoor use over time
|Double Circle||Iron Bull||REP Fitness||Titan Fitness||Rogue|
|Strap 7.5 feet||Strap is 15 feet||15 feet in length||16 feet in length
|Adjussts easy||Easily adjustable using numbers||Adjusts easy||Easily adjustable||Easily adjustable uses cam|
|Durability 800 lbs||Durability 2,000 lbs||Durability 600 lbs||Durability 600 lbs||Durability 600 lbs|
|Shouldn't be used outdoors||Can be Used oudoors||Can be used outdoors||Shouldn't be used outdoors||Shouldn't be used outdoors|
|Price: $ 65||Price $ 50||Price $ 22||Price $ 35||Price $ 72|
- Almost indestructible
- Reasonably priced
- Very heavy
- Can be tough on hands concerning calluses
- Shouldn’t be used outdoors
- Slippery when wet so chalk may be needed
- Must be more cautious that you don’t get hit
12 foot strap
Strap is 15 feet in length
|Adjusts easy using a cam||Easily adjustability||Adjustability challenging||Adjusts easily|
|Durability 600 lbs||Durability of 600 lbs||Durability of 1,200 lbs||Durability: 2,500 lbs|
|Can be used outdoors||Shouldn't be used outdoors||Can be used outdoors||Not for outdoor use|
|Price $72||Price $ 61||Price $20||Price: $ 69|
- Inexpensive and good for beginners
- Very lightweight
- Can be used indoors or outside
- Can be slippery when wet
|Rogue Echo||Elite gymnastic rings||Nordic Lifting||Nayoya||Titan Fitness
|16 feet long||8 feet long||8 feet long|
|Easily adjustable||Not easily adjustable||Adjustability easy||Adjustability easy||Unadjustable|
|Supports up to 600 Lbs||Supports 550 lbs||Supports up to 600 lbs||Supports up to 2,000 lbs||Supports up to 600lbs|
|Can be Used outdoors||Can be used outdoors||Can be used outdoors||Can be used outdoors||Can be used outdoors|
|Price: $ 55||Price $ 46||Price: $58||Price: $29||Price: $ 20|
Should be made from a material that is unstretchable
Should be strong enough to withstand rubbing against a hard surface
Longer straps are better, but having a place to put the excess length of strap may be an issue
There are two types of buckles that are used. These are cams, or carabiner buckles. Which one is used depends on ones personal preference. Rings that use cams may be more affordable but using rings with a carabiner is much easier concerning adjustments.
- More Affordable
- Weight that can be supported
- More difficult to adjust
- Weight that can be supported
- Easy to adjust
- More expensive
These are the main considerations you should look at when purchasing a set of gymnastic rings for your workouts.
Frequently asked questions
1. Do I have to have experience as a gymnast to use gymnastic rings ?
No, you don’t need any experience with the sport or activity of gymnastics in order to use rings. Although the name has the word gymnastics in it, rings can be used by anyone as part of a workout..
2. How do gymnastic rings compare to free weights ?
Unlike the use of free weights for resistance training, the use of rings uses body weights as a form of resistance.This is more of a dead weight when compared to using free weights..
When comparing free weights to the use of rings, although it is the same relative weight, doing push-ups with rings is much more difficult both because of the weight is more spread out, and the stabilizer muscles are used more.
Rings are a great form of resistance training to use in order to increase strength both for the beginner and experienced. The type of ring you purchase will depend on your purpose for training. If you’re looking to add different training methods to your workouts, rings are a good choice.